Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A4 for home use?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    A4 for home use?

    Hi,

    I may have a chance to get a pair of A4. However, the height of my room's ceiling is unable to accomodate the horn to be on top on the 210 cabs. Horizontal placement of the 210 is out. The owner advised me that I should mount the horn in the middle of the 210's horn opening, in which case, if I use a multicell, it would probably cover up the woofers.

    Are there any optimal configuration/horns to be used for the 210 cabs with the horn mounted in the centre of the 210 horn's opening? My preference is to use large format drivers.

    All advice are welcome. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    I have not had luck with the A4's inside. You need a big space for them to work. I have seen what you are describing with a horn mounted in the center of the box rather than on top but not heard it, so can't comment.

    I run my 210's on their side, stacked two high with the 825 cabinets (converted to a 3 way with a 511 mid and a 811 tweeter) as satellites and am very pleased with it. Not something to use indoors though.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member stéphane Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    Altec original A4 introduced in 1946.
    Enclosure:W830xH2140xD1000mm.
    Enclosure and horn:W2050xH2600xD1000mm.

    HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

    St?phane

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    Are those 210 Cabs in Northern Va.?

    A pair came up for sale here a month or so ago...and I was tempted, but my storage is full. They were priced very reasonable. I did not go to check out the condition.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    Thanks for the comments. I'm from the far east.

    Anybody has any pictures or links with high freq horns mounted at the mouth of the 210 cabs?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    Hi,

    I was thinking of adding the JBL Hartsfield horn and lens to the centre of the 210. I think this horn lens combination is small enough such that it will not obstruct too much of the radiating surface of the 2 woofers. This would mean I would probably end up with a JBL 2inch compression driver.

    Will I get into problems by mixing JBL and Altec components?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?

    No problem unless you tell someone.

    Cheers.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member stéphane Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A4 for home use?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.